Friday 5 May 2017

5 Poems by James G. Piatt

I Could Not

Under the shade of a
Black Maple tree
Searching for peace, I
Heard echoing off the blue
Skin of a placid pond the
Sound of a red headed
Woodpecker tapping…
Forget, forget, forget,
Into the emptiness of
Silence…
But I could not.


A Spring Night

Lightning bolts stridently
Screaming
Across the ebony sky
Like
Brilliant electric spider webs
Strike the damp earth,
Sounding like
A wild animal’s
Thunderous roar, and
I long for summer.


Secret Memories

Vanishing memories,
Wafer thin lines of
Whispering yesterdays
Give us a
Never-ending
Litany of fading visions,
While scents of irises
Awaken in our minds,
Memories of long lost
Secrets.


Spring is Here

In the midst of a white
And chilly wind,
I heard the breath
Of winter’s last gasp,
It coldly foretold
The final day
Of winter,
Where tiny birds
To weather bent, and
A warm dog became
This old man’s
Very best friend.


A Spring Night

In my bed, on an overcast
Spring night,
I listened to torpid frogs’
Basso voices
Croaking in my slumbering
Mind.
Their arias echoed in my
Dreams,
Where precious hours
Painted
With yesterday’s rainy
Moments
Rested peaceably.

<><><><><><><><><>

Bionote

James, a retired professor and octogenarian, is a pushcart and best of web nominee, and many of his poems were chosen for inclusion in The Top 100 Poems of 2016, 2015 & 2014 Anthologies. He has published 3 collections of poetry,  “The Silent Pond” (2012), “Ancient Rhythms,” (2014), and  “LIGHT," (2016), 3 novels, 35 short stories, and over 930 poems. His fourth collection of poetry is to be released this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment